Accessibility Statement – Stonechat Bothy, Drumfearn, February 2016
Our access statement does not contain personal opinions as to our suitability for those with access needs, but aims to accurately describe the facilities and services that we offer to all of our guests.
Stonechat Bothy is located in the rural crofting township of Drumfearn on the Sleat Peninsula, South Skye. Drumfearn is approx 8 miles from Broadford, and 12 miles from the Skye Bridge. The accommodation itself is discreetly nestled amongst trees towards the top of a hillside croft. There is space to park a car approx. 50m from the Bothy, with a gravel track leading to the main entrance behind the building. The accommodation is on one level and has one bedroom with a king sized bed.
- For details of how to find us please see the Find Us section of our website (www.
- Kyle Taxi Co 01599 534323
- Gus’s Taxi’s 01478 613000, Based in Portree
- Nicolsons Taxi’s, Based in Sleat +44 (0) 1471 844 338
- The distance to the nearest train station is 13 miles (Kyle of Lochalsh)
- Maclean Coaches, Telephone 01599 588222, Service 601 between Broadford and Ardvasar. There is a bus stop at the road end. We are just over 1 mile down the single track road.
- Armadale Pier (Calmac Ferry – Mallaig to Armadale) 11 miles from Pier to Drumfearn.
- From the main road (A851) the Drumfearn road is single track with passing places. There is a steep tarmac track through our croft at 8 Drumfearn, which takes guests past our house, and on up to the Bothy.
Key Collection, Welcome and Car Parking
- The keys to Stonechat Bothy are available from the owners property, also located at 8 Drumfearn.
- Keys can be taken out to visitors in their car if requested.
- A familiarisation tour of the property is offered to all guests.
- There is parking space for one car, approx 50 metres from the property.
- The surface from the car parking space to the main entrance is a level, uneven track on slightly rough ground.
- There is a motion sensor security light outside the property.
Entrance to Property
- There is a boardwalk ramp (no handrail), 1160mm wide, leading to the back door which is the main entrance to the property.
- The front door is 840mm wide (33 inches).
- There is a light at the back door and ceiling spot lights in the hallway.
- The floor surface is short pile carpet.
- There are ceiling spot lights in the hallway
- The minimum width in the hallway is 920mm
- The floor surface is carpet
Open Plan Living Area
- There is an open plan living area with a lounge area (large sofa, coffee table, TV, bookcase and wood-burning stove) dining area (table and chairs) and kitchen area.
- The internal door opening width is 720mm (23 inches)
- There are no steps
- There is a patio door (width 1050mm) with a slight step (160mm) at the front of the property to a paved area.
- There are large spaces between the items of furniture within the living area, and the furniture can be moved around easily.
- Subtitles are available on the TV.
- The floor surface is wood.
- There is a floor lamp, a spotlamp on the ceiling and a normal light bulb fixture.
- There is free space around the table
- The clear height of the table is 630mm.
- There are four chairs without arms.
- There is a large light suspended above the table
- The floor surface is wood
- There is level access to the kitchen which is open plan and located just off the main living area
- There is no door but the width of the kitchen is 1130mm (44.5 inches)
- The height of the hob is 1000mm (39.4 inches) and there is a low oven below with a drop down door.
- The height of the work surface is 1000mm
- In the fridge and freezer the highest shelf is 820mm (32 inches) and the lowest drawer is 300mm (11.8 inches).
- Crockery and glasses etc are located in high cupboards (shelves 1500mm-2000mm). It would not be possible to store these at a lower level (due to lack of storage space).
- The sink has a single mixer lever tap
- The lighting is ceiling spot lights
- The floor surface is wood.
- There is one bedroom on the ground floor.
- The door opening width is 720mm (28 inches)
- The furniture cannot be easily moved as it is too heavy.
- There is a king sized bed which is 680mm to the top of the mattress, with a clear space of 220mm under the bed.
- There is one ceiling spot light and two bedside lamps.
- There is a rail for hanging clothes which is height adjustable, a dressing table and two bedside tables.
- The floor surface is carpet.
- There is level access to the bathroom from the hallway
- The clear door opening width is 720mm (23 inches)
- The shower is over the bath
- The height of the WC from floor to seat is 420mm (16.5 inches)
- The washbasin is 1000mm high. It is slightly inset.
- There are lever taps on the washbasin and bath
There is a washer/dryer in a cupboard off the hall and a clothes horse.
- The property is furnished with white walls, beige carpets and wooden or white door frames. The living area has an oak wooden floor. The bathroom floor is dark grey vinyl.
- There is a GP practice at Kilmore (Sleat Medical Practice 01471 844283, 9 miles) and a health centre and hospital with emergency unit at Broadford (Dr Mackinnon Memorial Hospital, 01471 822491, 8 miles)
- Mobile reception at the croft can be poor and patchy (operator dependent). Free Wifi is available unlimited to guests.
- We aim to improve lighting in the property, the outdoor lighting and to upgrade the access track in the near future.
Please contact us for further information